Update on Green Card requirements for UK motorists

On 30th June 2021, the European Commission confirmed that the UK will be readmitted into the Free Circulation Zone. This announcement means that from 2nd August 2021, Green Cards are not required to be carried when driving through the EU and EEA states as proof of a valid motor insurance policy, unless towing a caravan or trailer.

NIG will continue to issue Green Cards for all vehicles (including those not towing a caravan or trailer) until 2nd September 2021 to ensure that news of the agreement has filtered through to European border crossings and road policing authorities across Europe. After this date NIG will continue to issue Green Cards for both the towing vehicle and the trailer/caravan.

Our policies do not cover travel outside of the EU/EEA, however as of the 19th October 2020, Bosnia and Herzegovina joined Andorra, Montenegro, Serbia and Switzerland as being within the Free Circulation Zone.

For any Green Cards that are required, please contact your regional underwriting team. To find your regional contact information, please click here.

For more information on Green Cards, please see the FAQs below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I request a Green Card for the policyholder?

A: You will need to request the Green Card on behalf of your client by emailing your regional mailbox 15 – 30 days before travel. We will not accept any requests received directly from the policyholder. To find your regional contact information, please click here.

When you send the request please title the email ‘Green Card request’ and include the following information:

  • policyholder name and number
  • dates of travel
  • name/s of the driver/s
  • name/s of the countries visited
  • vehicle registration number, make and model
  • trailer or caravan make and model

Q: How does the policyholder receive the Green Card?

A: The Green Card will be emailed to you, the broker. The Green Card must be printed as a physical document but the paper no longer needs to be green. You can either print the Green Card and send the physical document to the policyholder or they can print it themselves. The policyholder needs to take the printed document with them on their travels. An electronic PDF version will not be accepted.

Q: Does the policy cover the vehicle whilst driving within the EU/EEA?

A: Yes, and there is no change to the cover afforded by the policy.

Q: Where can I find more information on the Government’s guidance for travel in Europe?

A: More information can be found on the Government website.

Q. Do I need a Green Card for my trailer/caravan regardless of which EU/EEA countries I am visiting?

A. Not all countries require trailers and/or caravans to have a separate Green Card, however you are required to have one if travelling through a country that does to reach your destination. A list of the countries that require separate registration can be found on the Government website.

Q. Do I need to register my trailer?

A. You must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before you can drive through some countries in Europe. More information can be found on the Government website.