Green Cards for motor policies following Brexit

The current Government guidance to UK motor policyholders who are travelling within the EU/EEA, including the Republic of Ireland from 1st January 2021 is that a Green Card will now be required. If this guidance changes due to negotiations over the coming weeks, then we will review what actions or documents are needed and advise accordingly. This doesn’t change the cover provided by our insurance policies.

When is the policyholder travelling to and from the EU/EEA including the Republic of Ireland?Green Card required?
Departing and returning before 11pm on 31st December 2020.No, a Green Card is not required.
Travelling before 11pm on 31st December 2020 but only returning from EU/EEA in 2021.For example, travelling for the festive season and returning to the UK in the New Year.Yes, a Green Card is required.
Departing and returning from 1st January 2021.Yes, a Green Card is required.

Our policies do not cover travel outside of the EU/EEA, however Bosnia and Herzegovina is now included within the Free Circulation Zone of the EU/EEA as of the 19th October 2020.

For more information on Green Cards, please see the FAQs below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I request a Green Card for the policyholder?
A: You will need to request the Green Card on behalf of your client by emailing your regional mailbox 15 – 30 days before travel. We will not accept any requests received directly from the policyholder. To find your regional contact information, please click here.

When you send the request please title the email ‘Green Card request’ and include the following information:

  • policyholder name and number
  • dates of travel
  • name/s of the driver/s
  • name/s of the countries visited
  • vehicle registration number, make and model
  • trailer or caravan make and model

Q: How does the policyholder receive the Green Card?
A: The Green Card will be emailed to you, the broker. The Green Card must be printed as a physical document but the paper no longer needs to be green. You can either print the Green Card and send the physical document to the policyholder or they can print it themselves. The policyholder needs to take the printed document with them on their travels. An electronic PDF version will not be accepted.

Q: Will a Green Card incur an additional premium?
A: No, there will be no charge to issue a Green Card. Please refer to the policy booklet and additional endorsements to see if a charge is applicable to increase the cover (above the minimum level afforded by the Green Card).

Q: What happens if the policy is due for renewal whilst the policyholder is away?
A: Green Cards will be issued for a minimum of 15 days unless the policy is due for renewal whilst the vehicle is abroad.  In this instance the Green Card will only be valid until the renewal date. If renewal is confirmed before the Green Card is issued, then cover will be extended for the full period of travel.

Q: Does the policyholder need a Green Card for their trailer?
A: Yes, a separate Green Card will be issued for the trailer, registered or otherwise.

Q: Does the policy cover the vehicle whilst driving within the EU/EEA?
A: Yes, and there is no change to the cover afforded by the policy.

Q: The motor certificate currently documents European cover on the back page. Does the policyholder still need a Green Card?
A: Yes, current advice is that a Green Card will need to be carried along with the motor certificate from 1st January 2021.

Q: What happens if the policyholder does not take a Green Card?
A: It’s difficult to know how the various countries, border or law enforcement officials will react. It’s not always possible to buy insurance at the border so there’s a chance that the vehicle will be confiscated and a fine issued.

Q: Will you be sending the European Accident Statement with the Green Card?
A: No. The policyholder will need to continue to obtain this document themselves and ensure that they comply with the rules and regulations of the countries visited. 

Q: Where can I find more information on the Government’s guidance for travel post Brexit?
A: More information can be found on the Government website.